Saturday, October 29, 2011

How I Love The Patriot!

We are watching The Patriot (2000) with Mel Gibson, a very young Heath Ledger, an even younger Gregory Smith, Chris Cooper, Tchéky Karyo and a diabolical Jason Issacs, and Kristian Truelsen.

I love how it begins with delightful scenes of Colonial life in South Carolina, A Christian family, homeschooling (children teaching children), a story of family, honor, character, perseverance against all odds, and of course, patriotism.

I'm not sure I've seen it since it was in the theatres. I don't know why! It is very bloody, but so is war.

And at times, Gibson looks very Braveheart (1995). And if he was younger, I'm sure the part of Jean Villeneuve, the French man based on Lafayette, played by Tchéky Karyo would have been played by Gérard Depardieu. They look so much alike, I immediately though of Depardieu. But then, he did seem to fill every roll of a French man in American films for a long time.



So who in the world is Kris Truelsen? He played Hardwick (first seen about 58:30 into the DVD), and is the one that gives away the location of Benjamin Martin's (played by Gibson) men in swamp by the mission. He is subsequently burned in church with the others of the community.



And he's the brother of my college friend, Jeffrey Scott Truelsen, of Ithaca, NY/Cornell/Gorges Greyhounds . My first summer of college Jff used to read aloud Kris's letters (they corresponded frequently) and his name is a link to many fond memories.

Always a pleasure to see you Kris. I hope you make royalties on your work. Please put your picture up in http://www.imdb.com/! The one on your home page is a fantastic shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment